Saturday 5 November 2011

Making Felt


I had seen this briefly on create and craft and a class advertised on Big Picture Classes so was really interested in learning some more. I liked the idea of being able to make my own felt embellishments for both my scrapbooking pages and for use in home decor so visiting the Japan Crafts stand at Hobbycrafts for a make and take on Needle Felting.

I was amazed at how quick and relatively easy it was. You place the wool on a sponge within a cutter and a special needle was used to make a "stabbing" action to the wool, knitting the fibres together and resulting in felt being made.

The stabbing of the needle into the sponge is a definite stress relief - pretend its someone or something that is annoying you and its bound to make you feel better! But it is not a “watch the TV at the same time” crafting activity. You have to concentrate otherwise you end up stabbing yourself with the felt needle and that hurts!

So impressed with finished results and how easy and satisfying it was that when I found out I could get the starter kit and enough wool to keep me going for a while for £10 it was a no brainer. I would only have to make a few flowers or other shapes to quickly get my money back.

I have already had a play-a-round since I got home with making them different thickness and playing about with mixing the different colour wool. Still more experimenting to come but am enjoying the time out it gives me.

(Photos to follow - make and take flowers, kit and wool, at home samples.)

No comments: